Vortex Strikefire Review
Our Rating: 7.8
In a Nutshell
Vortex’s no-frills entry to the Strikefire series stands the test of time as a great entry-level red dot optic. Worth the purchase if you come across one
What's the Scope?
The Vortex Strikefire red dot sight is a versatile optic available with a 3, 4, or 6 MOA dot, with a choice of either red-and-green-dot functionality or red-dot-only functionality.
Size (LxWxH in mm)
Water-resistant but not waterproof
Up to 2100 hours
Lens Cover Type
Varies, normally less than $200
One of the main problems with this sight is the overall design. The power button and night vision mode button are poorly placed. It’s too easy to bump them in the case, turning your sight on and wasting your battery. It’s also easy to fumble and accidentally turn your night vision on in the daytime. The sight includes an auto-shutoff feature after a while, fortunately, so if your sight does get turned on in the case, it’ll at least hopefully turn itself off before your battery life really dies. Also, the 2x magnifier is a nice thought, but it’s hard to use it in the field or while moving, which means that it’s pretty much a bench-only feature.
In terms of build quality, things are hit or miss. The overall construction is rugged, like one would expect from Vortex products. But some of the finer details aren’t so great. The adjustments on this sight are a little stiff, for instance, and aren’t very satisfying to use. Once you zero in, you probably won’t have to mess with them too much, but still - it’s not ideal. Also, the lack of a cord to hold on the adjustment caps, so you may end up losing them. The fact that the lens caps are flip-up and built into the sight is super nice in a way, but it also is hard to close them, making the convenience a little null.
On the other hand, it does include all the tools you need to get going. The mount and covers are provided, making set-up a breeze, and once you’ve set zero, it’ll hold it forever. In other words, putting it on and shooting is super simple. It’s also extremely versatile and fit for multiple weapons, from small pistols to ARs. Likewise, it works for many different circumstances - whether you’re hunting, in a competition, in a tactical situation, just running safety drills, or in a life-or-death emergency, the Strikefire will do the job perfectly.
Lastly, as with all Vortex weapons, you get the wonderful Vortex VIP warranty. This warranty ensures that through the lifetime of the sight, you’re totally covered. It’s a fully transferable lifetime warranty that covers any and all damage that might come to it. You just mail it in - no warranty card needed - and they’ll fix it or replace it at no cost.
Should You Buy It?
This sight is a fantastic value. For the few shortcomings from early design flaws that were improved with the Strikefire II, you absolutely know what you’re getting. Regardless of your situation, if you want a cost effective red dot sight, then Yes, you should buy this. Plus, since there’s a newer model, you can probably get a great price!
- The Strikefire II Bright Red Dot is a rugged, reliable red dot sight that is at home in a variety of shooting applications. It allows the shooter to operate between ten brightness settings to easily adjust for changing conditions.
- Fully multi-coated lenses provide a clean and bright, unobscured point of view. Unlimited eye relief allows for rapid target acquisition.
- The single-piece chasis is compact and lightweight but still delivers shockproof performance withstanding both recoil and impact. Nitrogen purging and o-ring seals ensure fogproof and waterproof performance.
- An offset cantilever mount is provided; allowing you to move the sight forward to be used in conjunction with a magnifier and backup iron sights all on the same rail.
- With aesthetics and functionality in mind, the power controls are at the rear of the Strikefire for easy access. The Strikefire II runs off a CR2 battery
The Vortex Strikefire is to this day a fantastic sight. While the Strikefire II improved on its faults, you aren’t spending as much for this as you would for the Strikefire II. Other Vortex red dots in the price range are comparable, but for a versatile and safe option that will work on any weapon, the Strikefire is an excellent choice.