Before proceeding be
sure the firearm is
unloaded and the action
The Microlevel® mounts on the ocular (part you look through) end of the scope. To install the Microlevel®, measure your ocular bell-housing diameter. Most scopes today have a diameter of about 1.5 inches (see Scope Size Table). Place the Microlevel® on your scope, turn it on and look through your scope. The level will not obscure your full sight picture. With smaller diameter scopes, a single layer of shim tape (included) will bring the display up and center the Microlevel® aperture in the middle of the ocular housing. The smaller the scope is, the more tape shim will be needed. Some scopes may require more material at the back end to compensate for a tapered ocular housing, as shown.
*If you wish to mount the Microlevel® onto one of these particular scopes, please contact us so that we can customize the Microlevel® for installation.
PLEASE NOTE: If the entire housing rotates , or if the entire ocular bell rotates by a function such as zoom, or if there is a rear focus ring at the ocular end, the Microlevel® will not function properly. The Microlevel® must be mounted to a secure ocular housing. Currently we know of only two scopes that are not compatible with the Microlevel®: (1) Nightforce NXS, (2) Zeiss Conquest.
Congratulations on your decision to purchase the Long-Shot Microlevel®. We are confident that using this device will help eliminate cant error and achieve shooting accuracy. The technology used in this advanced, precision electronic device was born in the automotive and aerospace industries. We here at Long-Shot Products have extensive backgrounds in cutting edge technologies, and searched throughout the industries to find a cost effective, innovative solution to this old problem. We hope you enjoy using this device as much as we’ve enjoyed developing it.
NEVER ATTEMPT TO MOUNT THIS PRODUCT ON A LOADED FIREARM. MAKE SURE THE FIREARM IS COMPLETELY SAFE AND UNLOADED FOLLOWING THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED UNLOADING PROCEDURE. MAKE SURE THE MAGAZINE IS REMOVED FROM THE FIREARM AND THE CHAMBER IS CLEAR OF ALL AMMUNITION. All firearms are potentially dangerous and can cause great harm, personal injury and death. It is YOUR responsibility to handle, load, unload, use, transport, maintain, and store your firearm in a SAFE manner so as to prevent its accidental discharge.
3. Slide the Microlevel® over the ocular lens housing of the scope and butt the indicator ring against the end of the scope. Be certain the ocular adjustment of the scope is in focus and the Ocular Adjustment Lock Ring is completely tightened. The attachment band can be loosened (by removing one of the set screws with a 3/32 hex key and pulling on the alignment band). The Microlevel® does not require exact alignment on a properly installed scope since the exact zero point is set by the microprocessor. The Microlevel® can be installed upside down if desired, to position the LED indicators at the bottom of the scope housing. Experiment with both setups to determine your preference. Be sure to check for bolt clearance before mounting.
4. The Microlevel® should be aligned with the scope by measuring the distance between the bottom surface of the Microlevel® and a flat spot on the receiver or stock on both sides of the Microlevel®. Adjust the position until the distance is equal on both sides. Carefully tighten the alignment band by turning a 3/32 hex key in either set screw clockwise. Initially, it may be difficult to turn the set screw, but after a few turns it will loosen up. Be careful not to over tighten the attachment band, snug is sufficient.NOTE: The screws have been lubricated with sodium stearate (Ivory bar soap), to allow easier adjustments. Do not use other lubricants. They may cause the housing to crack and become unusable.
5. We recommend using the enclosed double-sided tape placed between the Microlevel® housing and the scope housing. Align the Microlevel® as indicated above before removing the backing of the double-sided tape. Mark the position of the edges of the aligned Microlevel® on a piece of removable masking tape as a guide. Tighten the set screw as above and remove the masking tape.
6. Remove the battery pack from the bag and place it in the circular battery compartment with the positive (+) side up.
7. Once aligned and secure, replace the lid and tighten (2) flat head cap screws.
8. The unit will power up and flash the LEDs to indicate the sensitivity mode settings (see Settings).
The Microlevel’s™ microprocessor consists of a computer coupled with a gravity sensing component, which constantly senses the cant of the device and outputs a signal in an easily understood format of red, yellow and green LEDs. The gravity sensing component samples the cant of the Microlevel® hundreds of times per second. An algorithm in the microprocessor is applied to the signal to produce an output which is simply displayed. The LEDs are arranged in a symmetrical pattern with the red LEDs the furthest away from center and the yellows adjacent to the central green LED. When viewing through the scope, a single LED is illuminated indicating True Vertical Position of the firearm. For instance, if you are tilted too far to the right, the red LED on the right side will be illuminated. When you begin to compensate for the misalignment and rotate the firearm to the left into a predetermined zone, the yellow LED will become illuminated while the red LED is turned off. This will alert the user that he is close to the optimal setting which is designated when the green LED is illuminated. Now the user learns to slowly keep rotating the firearm until the green LED is illuminated signaling True Vertical Position. The user is now assured the scope is directly vertical with the barrel of the firearm thereby eliminating ANY tilt or cant error.
- To save batteries, in case you forget to turn off the power, there is a sleep mode which automatically shuts off the device if either red LED is on for 5 minutes, such as lying on the side in a gun case. Just tap the ON/OFF switch to resume operation.
- When the battery is too low for reliable operation the LEDs will become very dim. This will indicate a new battery is needed. Batteries last for 30 hours of continuous use. They will last longer when only used for a few hours at a time, or at a lower illumination level.
- If you are having trouble holding steady on the target, with the Green LED illuminated, try changing the sensitivity setting to FIELD (least sensitive) and work your way back to BENCH (most sensitive).
- Try not to look directly at the LEDs (at first it is hard not to). They are located to appear in your peripheral vision and not seen directly. Stay focused on acquiring your target and you will be able to see the illuminated LED. Remember, you can adjust the brightness of the LEDs (see BRIGHTNESS OF LEDs).
For optimum performance, we recommend to zero your Microlevel® during the season/temperature that it will be used in. For example, if you install and zero your Microlevel® in the winter and plan to shoot it in the summer, please reset the zero in the summer.
Being that this is a precision device, the more care used in setting the zero properly will result in better accuracy. We recommend using the Vertical Reticle Tool to insure the reticle is truly vertical to the gun barrel. Using the Vertical Reticle Tool (sold by Long-Shot, available at www.microlevel.biz) or similar reference, position the firearm in a True Vertical Position. Make sure the Microlevel® is off. Hold the firearm in a stable position and push and hold the SET-ZERO button. While the SET-ZERO button is still depressed, tap the ON/OFF button, and all the LEDs will cascade back and forth. Release the buttons, once the cascade starts. The green LED will illuminate for a second after the cascade stops (this is when the actual zero setting is being measured, so keep perfectly still when the green LED is on). Any movement during this time will not store an accurate reading. The zero setting is stored in permanent memory and does not change unless reprogrammed as above, even if the battery is replaced.
LONG-SHOT PRODUCTS WARRANTS THIS PRODUCT TO BE FREE OF DEFECTS IN MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP FOR ONE YEAR. IF YOUR Microlevel® IS FOUND TO BE DEFECTIVE WITHIN THAT TIME. LONG-SHOT PRODUCTS WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE YOUR Microlevel®.
Also see the attached instruction sheets on the Vertical Reticle tool